SolidWorks 2010: Sketch Pictures in Drawings

May 17, 2010 34 Comments »
SolidWorks 2010:  Sketch Pictures in Drawings

With my schedule relaxing a bit, I’m finally back in the groove and am excited to bring some new posts to the site.  This one is kind of a “reminder post” of a new feature in SolidWorks 2010 that is easy to overlook.

You can now show Sketch Pictures inserted in models on the Drawing!  Below you’ll see a quick example I made of a picture frame.  With the help of Realview and a nice rendering made in Photoview 360, it’s pretty easy to quickly make something that is visually appealing.  The problem with an example like this is that when you take that model to a Drawing, the centerpiece (the Sketch Picture) was in the past lost.

In SolidWorks 2010, the Sketch Picture automatically comes into the Drawing and is shown in all views where the image is visible.

If you go ahead and turn on the Shaded views, you can show the full appearance in the Drawing!

Although this example is a bit “out of the norm”, this new feature might just allow you to document your designs in certain area with greater detail.  The application of it is up to you!

Lots of new stuff coming…until then….stay tuned!

1. Richard Williams May 18, 2010 at 11:50 pm -

Pretty nice. I didn't even know about this capability. Perhaps dull drawings are evolving?

2. Ricky Jordan May 20, 2010 at 5:12 am -

Perhaps they are! There are quite a few folks using rendered ISO views in Drawings these days and this capability allows you to add a little more detail to it. :-)

3. HoffY May 21, 2010 at 8:25 am -

Don't mean to be a downer. But usually those “folks” are the same ones that miss most of the dimensions and details that are required to make the actual part and/or express its design/intent!

yay for CAD's “easier use/one button presss does it all anyone can do it”-ness

4. Ricky Jordan May 26, 2010 at 4:22 am -

LOL! – Yeah…I know where you are coming from on this. That however would be a separate problem unto its own. :-)

Your button idea makes me think of the ending slides of some of Phil Sluder's SolidWorks World presentations. You should check it out if you have a chance or e-mail me and I'll send you the slides I'm talking about….it is pretty funny stuff.

5. Hover Coupon Code June 6, 2010 at 5:01 pm -

That is damn nice looking. Good job!

6. Shawn milano June 7, 2010 at 4:40 pm -

Nice Tutorial and the good thing is short and simple to follow.

7. prada outlet June 8, 2010 at 5:27 am -

Hhe article's content rich variety which make us move for our mood after reading this article. surprise, here you will find what you want! Recently, I found some wedsites which commodity is research-laboratory colorful of fashion. Such as that worth you to see. Believe me these websites won’t let you down. http://www.prada-outlet-store.com

8. michael June 8, 2010 at 6:52 am -

Hey this is pretty amazing stuff. Now i can go ahead and experiment and enhance my work more effectively than before. Thanks for the insight.

9. air jordan 9 June 11, 2010 at 8:50 am -

“Well , the view of the passage is totally correct ,your details is really reasonable and you guy give us valuable informative post, I totally agree the standpoint of upstairs. I often surfing on this forum when I m free and I find there are so much good information we can learn in this forum!

10. Bluetooth Compatible Headsets June 16, 2010 at 10:53 am -

Hey great information one of my friend wanted to know some better trick which i tell now.
    Thanks for sharing this..

11. Kevin Tan June 23, 2010 at 9:35 pm -

This is very cool Ricky. Keep up the great work!

12. Fag June 24, 2010 at 2:49 pm -

ndeed the model looks quite privlikatelna, I think a new feature in the program will be in demand among fans of simulation.

13. Townhouse July 6, 2010 at 1:44 am -

I am looking forward to taking this advice and playing around with SolidWorks!

14. Scambusters July 17, 2010 at 7:17 am -

Wow that's so cool!!

15. Jane July 24, 2010 at 1:55 am -

It's really cool and looks so easy to do it. Thanks for amazing tutorial.

16. MLM Leads July 25, 2010 at 6:00 am -

I will wait for the next post, this is awesome! Very detailed work. Keep 'em coming Ricky!

17. Joe August 6, 2010 at 1:12 am -

Surprisingly ….. I need this. My company has asked to lay our existing assemblies on top of pdf's of drawings for reference images in proposals. Unfortunately, I can't get it to work.

Does the sketch have to “live” in a part with actual features? I have it on a sketch and then saved the part and inserted into an assembly and its no good. Tried to make a simple block and insert a sketch picture…nothing.

18. Shuvom August 6, 2010 at 3:17 pm -

Joe, your picture part does not need to have any actual features.

In the assembly, you need to view your sketches. Make sure “View…Sketches” is turned on in the assembly pulldown, and make sure the sketch is set to “Show” and not “Hide” in the part feature tree.
    I just tried this on a test assembly in 2010 and it worked.

-Shuvom Ghose, CAPINC Tech Support

19. Brooklyn apt August 12, 2010 at 9:35 am -

Very nice. I liked the way you have presented this in a very simply way without any confusion…

20. designer outlet August 30, 2010 at 3:06 pm -

I was stunned by seeing this extraordinary picture.Looks real man!!!!

21. Prada Outlet September 30, 2010 at 3:05 am -

hey, this is a dramtic capability, that’s cool.

22. Engagement Rings October 7, 2010 at 1:33 pm -

What a Great Article it its really informative and innovative keep us posted with new updates. its was really valuable. Thanks a lot

23. Engagement Rings October 7, 2010 at 1:35 pm -

The post is very nicely written, it has a lot of information for me, I am happy to find it. Thanks for sharing.

24. mold removal hollywood October 12, 2010 at 5:26 am -

Pretty nice. Nice Tutorial also. I need this.

25. nba shoes October 13, 2010 at 3:29 am -

I like this, it is nice looking and good tips.

26. Mold Removal Miami October 27, 2010 at 11:38 am -

Pretty nice. Nice Tutorial.thanks.

27. Mold Testing Service New York October 28, 2010 at 9:36 am -

nice image.thanks for the post.

28. Mold Removal Hialeah October 29, 2010 at 12:25 pm -

Pretty nice.Thanks for the tutorial.

29. Anonymous November 13, 2010 at 1:56 am -

Nice tip :X. Thank you so much

30. Mold Testing Orlando November 26, 2010 at 6:08 am -

Pretty nice.

31. Mac December 13, 2010 at 8:44 am -

Thanks for this post. It’s very informative and the focus is so clear. Very resourceful and helpful indeed. Thanks for sharing.

32. Jason Brad December 25, 2010 at 10:02 pm -

Great post and great pics. Very appealing.

Jason

33. Mold Removal February 7, 2011 at 8:42 am -

You got a really useful blog.

34. Jori March 27, 2011 at 7:30 am -

Hello,
    Is there a way to get sketch pictures to show also in PhotoView 360 renders?
    Problem described in this picture: