SolidWorks 2010: Hole Wizard!

September 28, 2009 14 Comments »
SolidWorks 2010: Hole Wizard!

It’s been a while since I have had a chance to post.  I have been working some crazy hours on various projects.  Hopefully some of them I can share with you one day.  Its time to get back on track with introducing some of the new features of SolidWorks 2010.

Today we take a quick peek at one of my favorite enhancements in SolidWorks 2010.  This is probably not one that you will find in many demos or online videos – It is minor yet major.  Simple yet brilliant.  Oh yeah…and probably overdue but HEY, I’m glad to finally have it.

In my previous job I trained new users of SolidWorks.  The most common mistake new users would make is to NOT pre-select a planar face or reference plane before entering the Hole Wizard command.  This would force them to define their hole points in a 3DSketch which meant that extra relations were required to fully define the placement of the points.  Unless you are placing a hole on a curved surface, a 2D Sketch is very much the preferred method!

SolidWorks 2010 now defaults to  a 2D placement plane for all Hole Wizard Holes.  If the user fails to pre-select the plane, then SolidWorks asks the user to define it rather than assuming a 3D placement is needed.  The 3D Sketch placement option is still available….just not the default when you choose not to pre-select.  Follow the video link below to see a quick demo of this simple yet soon to be popular enhancement!

Stay tuned….much more to come!

1. Maracas September 28, 2009 at 2:38 pm -

SolidWorks looks quite user friendly. The only 3D software I have learnt is Blender, how would the learning curve compare do you think?

2. Tiranga October 1, 2009 at 6:20 am -

Gr8!! idea and a great blog. I appreciate your work & hope for some more informative information.

3. battery October 10, 2009 at 12:28 am -

I am first time heard about SolidWorks 2010,but i think it's not the best after read the article,or its not introduced clear.

4. nokfarang002 November 12, 2009 at 11:43 am -

I think SolidWorks is great 3D software.

งาน part time

5. Registry Cleaner Reviews January 21, 2010 at 11:46 am -

Nice post. Solid Works is one of my favorite tools and love using it.

6. travestiyeliz March 11, 2010 at 8:29 pm -

Great post..perfect blog..Your research is really good…
    antalya travesti yeliz :

7. camelia123 March 22, 2010 at 6:55 am -

awesome hepl me have another look wait for new work ~~
    : ). I can’t be happier.

8. camelia123 March 22, 2010 at 6:55 am -

SEO expertiese
    awesome hepl me have another look wait for new work ~~
    : ). I can’t be happier.

9. cheapbasketballshoes April 19, 2010 at 1:15 pm -

Take the control NBA basketball shoes away from your offender. Mentally replaying your hurt gives power to the person who cheap basketball shoes caused you pain. "Instead of focusing on your wounded feelings, learn to look for the love, lebron basketball shoes beauty and kindness around you," Frederic says fear — even love. To kobe shoes gain perspective, you may want to write a letter to yourself from your offender's lebron shoes point of view a couple of breaths and think of something that gives you pleasure: a new kobe shoes beautiful scene in nature designed to absorb all the shock that is generated during running.

10. Cheap Gaming Computers Canada May 2, 2010 at 5:49 am -

SolidWorks is a great program. We use this all the time at the University of Toronto. Great review!

11. registrycleaner October 21, 2010 at 2:19 pm -

The 3D Sketch placement option is still available.

12. carpet cleaner Sacramento December 31, 2011 at 1:27 am -

Wonderful post, very informative.

13. carpet cleaning dandenong January 2, 2012 at 9:10 am -

I wish I can maneuver similar software before.

14. Missouri misdemeanor February 28, 2012 at 6:56 am -

You can create holes on a plane with the Hole Wizard, as well as holes on planar and nonplanar faces.