SolidWorks Video Tip: Roll View

June 29, 2009 16 Comments »
SolidWorks Video Tip: Roll View

rollviewI’m sure all of us have had this happen before.  You stroll around through the UI of your favorite software package and find a button that somehow you have missed seeing before.  I have never claimed to know everything there is to know about SolidWorks, but I do know my way around a bit.  After serving as Technical Editor for three books on SolidWorks, I somehow have overlooked this little viewing tool, so I thought I would share it.

The viewing tool I’m talking about is the Roll View option.  It is available in the Right Mouse button menu in the graphics area.  It allows you to roll the model about an axis pointing normal to the viewing plane.  (The axis is coming out of your screen.)  Here’s a short video showing it off.

Alright folks, fess up!  If you have never noticed this viewing tool before, leave me a comment.  I’ll bet I’m not the only one!

I’ve got some other stuff in the works and will be picking up a USB microphone this week so I can start posting videos with voice again to the site.  My next “series” of posts will be about SolidWorks Routing.  This is something I have wanted to do for the site for quite some time and I’m looking forward to sharing some tips with you that will hopefully simplify the mystique that seems to surround that product at times.

SolidWorks 2010 Beta testing is going well.  As soon as the NDA is lifted I’ll have some videos ready to roll out that show off the new functionality.

Stay tuned…more to come!

1. Bob June 29, 2009 at 1:53 am -

Never noticed the option in the right-click menu, but I knew this was available by ALT-holding down whatever button on the mouse you use for rotating (here it's pressing the scrollwheel).

Works very nice in conjunction with the CTRL-click panning and SHIFT-click zooming.

2. Rod_Uding June 29, 2009 at 5:38 am -

I have known the command was there, just never clicked on it or looked it up in the help file to see what it did. Will try it out today to see if helps out in rotating the model for making selections.

Looking forward to the post on Routing. We had the UI manager from SW in at the last SWUG meeting and he went over that with us before the meeting an did a presentation on it at the meeting.

3. Brian June 29, 2009 at 9:11 am -

Hmmm…I never have really paid attention to the command in the menus; I have always just used the Alt-[L or R] Arrows or Alt-MMB to rotate the view parallel to the screen.

4. John Kerr June 29, 2009 at 11:25 am -

Hello Ricki, with your 2010 beta reviews, have had a chance to look at compatibility with Windows 7, or at least have SW corporate feedback? – John

5. Diego June 29, 2009 at 12:25 pm -

Ricky, what does roll view do in the drawing? It shows up in the right click menu, but doesn't seem to change the view.

Regards, Diego

6. jcoeng June 29, 2009 at 12:35 pm -

Nice post Ricky. I too have seen it there many times but never clicked on it. Gonna have to try it soon.

7. solidworm July 4, 2009 at 7:13 am -

i noticed a tool called Curvature Explorer in boundary feature, a few days ago. (RMB on the yellow preview surface->Curvature Explorer , a movable dot appears on the surface which shows the curvature of U and V isoparameters at that point.)

8. fcsuper July 6, 2009 at 10:50 pm -

I've not used that function either, though something similar is on my 3D mouse which I do use from time to time.

9. wangming July 11, 2009 at 7:45 pm -
  10. blaze222222 September 30, 2009 at 11:37 pm -

It seems to be a good viewing tool. but i have never seen it before. thanks for the information, i will try this tool. good job…..

11. blaze222222 October 1, 2009 at 5:37 am -

12. indo April 28, 2010 at 3:16 pm -

Lutilisation de vos dépenses flexibles expliquent travesti (FSA) pour la thérapie de massageest une travesti autre façon valable pour se maintenir avec votre habitude de massage. Les comptes flexibles de dépenses sont établis parvotre travesti fournisseur d'assurance maladie pour gérer de l'extérieur de coûts de votre médecin standard visite chaque an. travesti Ces sont considéré être généralement ‹ un-remboursé les dépenses médicales, travesti et les fournisseurs d'assurance maladie différente ont des indications différentes sur ce qu'ils accepteront. travesti Dans la plupart des cas vous pouvez réclamer la
    thérapie de massage travesti comme un un-remboursé la dépense médicale si le c'est pour traiter une blessure, un traumatisme, travesti ou une maladie spécifique. Le massage pour le soulagement de tension,la détente, ou maintenant juste la travesti bonne santé est d'ordinaire pas remboursable. Si vous devez masser travesti pour la thérapie physique ou soulagement de tension, profitez de n'importe quel de ces stratégies si ces thérapie de massageest travesti devenue une partie de votre travesti mode de vie sain. mode de vie sain.

13. ที่พักหัวหิน July 31, 2010 at 7:51 am -

Great job. Good article I must say.

14. Jeff Green February 25, 2011 at 3:24 pm -

I have used roll, but didn’t understand how to constrain the roll to 90 degrees. Finally discovered what Brian commented about: Rather than use Roll with the middle mouse button, select Rotate, then hold Alt and press the L or R arrow keys. This rolls the view in 15 degree increments.

15. r4 nintendo ds March 15, 2011 at 4:59 am -

I collected some thoughts about Drawing Views. We look at what drives the scale of a view, how to change a style of screen views, and discuss the difference between the projection of the first and third angle.

16. Grazzi November 26, 2015 at 5:01 am -

irem seninle gf6rfcşmek isoiytrum ama f6ncelikle belirtmek istedim ben bu deneyimimi ilk .. tanıyosundur yaşadım ama hayal kırıklığı oldu benim ie7in hie7 istediğim gibi olmadı onun ie7in sen veya bir başkasıyla olmak dfcşfcndfcrfcyor..İstediklerim benimle e7ırıl e7ıplak sadece eşofman altını indirmek gibi huyun yoktur umarım.. e7ırıl e7ıplak gere7ek sex amae7 girip e7ıksındeğil sevişmek bu işi para ie7in yapıyormuş gibi değil gere7ekten istiyormuş gibi yapıyorsan gf6rfcşmek isterim eskişehirdeyim eskişehirliyimm cevap yazarsan sevinirim isteklerinide bildirirsen yada telde gf6rfcşfcrfcz f6ptfcm