SolidWorks Video Tip: 2009 BOM Restructure

October 5, 2008 6 Comments »
SolidWorks Video Tip:  2009 BOM Restructure

SolidWorks 2009 has been out long enough now that most of the “major” enhancements have probably been talked about on quite a few sites across the web.  Here’s an enhancement that I have noticed hasn’t gotten much press.  That enhancement is the ability to restructure Bills of Materials (BOM) in Drawings.

This video tip will show a simple example of this new capability that for some companies could be a game changer.  I know that is an awfully big statement, but think about a situation where for assembly speed reasons, sub-assemblies are used in SolidWorks, yet build procedures call for parts and assemblies to be grouped differently.  This functionality can support these instances.  I’ve only tested it on a few assemblies, but it seems to work very well and is pretty easy to pick up.  Click on the link below to see the Video Tip.

1. rdo October 28, 2008 at 11:36 am -

Thanks so much for this information. We were trying to do this in 2008 but couldn't, so this is reason enough for us to upgrade.

2. Ricky Jordan October 28, 2008 at 10:54 pm -

rdo,

I'm glad you found the video useful. I was a bit surprised that no one commented on it when I posted it. I think this new functionality will benefit many users out there.

3. Minh January 5, 2009 at 7:48 pm -

hello Ricky Jordan !
    I come from VietNam
    i'm student _machenical
    i found that solidworks is veryuseful for my job
    so that i've study it for 2 years and have some knowlege
    but i think that's not enough in my future job when i graduate
    i hope you will share alot of documentary for me
    because i know that learning is the key to every thing
    thanks alot !

4. Ricky Jordan January 5, 2009 at 9:25 pm -

Hi Minh,

I'm glad you like the site. If there is anything in particular that you would like to see added to the site, please let me know.

5. Ecommerce Web Design April 16, 2009 at 11:34 pm -

I know that is an awfully big statement, but think about a situation where for assembly speed reasons, sub-assemblies are used in SolidWorks, yet build procedures call for parts and assemblies to be grouped differently. This functionality can support these instances.

6. pokerface June 20, 2009 at 12:22 am -

inform many people like me.. a video that very useful..