SolidWorks Video Tip: 2009 Title Block & Custom Properties

August 21, 2008 17 Comments »
SolidWorks Video Tip: 2009 Title Block & Custom Properties

I’m sure if you have read any of the SolidWorks Blogs in the past couple of weeks, you have probably heard of the new Custom Properties Task Pane window in SolidWorks 2009.  The interface for this window is completely customizable.  SolidWorks includes an application called Property Tab Builder that allows you to design the interface so that you can enter custom properties in Parts, Assemblies, and Drawings in a manner that best matches your company’s engineering processes.  A screen shot of the Property Tab Builder is shown below.

Some GREAT news with this is that you can COMBINE this new functionality with the new Title Block Wizard in Drawings.  This Video Tip focuses more on how the two can interact together rather than how to build the Task Pane or Title Block Window.  I will have posts in the coming weeks that will reveal more details on how you can setup these new features.  Click the image below to watch the video.

Stay tuned….more to come!

1. Steve H February 12, 2009 at 9:04 pm -

Thanks Ricky,
    it's so much better to watch it in action then to read about it and try to put it together in your head.
    Great site i will be sure to look in oftern.

Steve H
    From Brisbane Australia.

2. Marcin March 12, 2009 at 7:02 am -

How is make Date List? Please help.

3. Ricky Jordan March 12, 2009 at 11:19 am -

Marcin,

You set this in the Property Tab Builder (PTB). If you look at the image above (of the PTB) you will see in the group boxes there is a text field for Date. This is defined as a Textbox in PTB. If you click on the text filed in the GUI area, the properties will show on the right side of the PTB. I have it set to a custom property and under “Custom Property Attributes” set the Type to Date.

Let me know if this doesn't answer your question.

Best Regards,

4. Woo April 23, 2009 at 9:09 pm -

The interface is as slow as a snail. When I try to enter text the thing almost jams. Do you know a way around that? I am using a 64 bit windows xp with 8 gb ram and a q6600 processor.

5. Dave April 28, 2009 at 9:56 am -

Could anyone help with placing an excel spreadsheet information in a titleblock using the property tab builder. I have the group, list, excel, path, and range. The list shows up on the property tab builder but not in the drawing (I get the group but not the excel list). Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks

6. Martin Streat June 8, 2009 at 5:26 am -

Hi Ricky,
    I spotted this article when it first came out and started to use the custom prop tab.
    our problem stems from working in X64 vista and xp i think. when typing in a text box on the custom tab the space bar sometimes jumps two or three spaces. sometimes behaves normally. in the same line of text.
    the reason i say its x64 is because the dot net is different in x64. some of the controls are different. you will see this in macros, dialogue boxes staying behind windows, strange behavure of dll files not loading etc.
    Sw know about this as they warned about it in their email tips of “SolidWorks Express: Seven ways to improve your data management” of 3rd june.
    some of the miles of code in sw needs to checked and updated. try clicking the link to tutorial drawings in the help, tutorials. the dll file that runs that needs to be loaded because of that problem.
    i write all this because i see you have a contact system to the ivory tower. cheers mart

7. Keith June 16, 2009 at 2:34 pm -

Hey Ricky,

How did you get the calender to appear in the Date drop-down list?

8. Ricky Jordan June 21, 2009 at 1:12 am -

Keith,

The in the Property Tab Builder, when you add the field for the date, there is a setting you'll need to show the calendar. Under Custom Property Attribute, set the “Type” to “Date”. It is a pull down menu where your other choices are “Text” and “Yes/No”.

Let me know if you have any other questions on this.

9. Thesis Paper August 29, 2009 at 12:18 am -

This is obviously one great post. Nice and wonderful article for putting it together and this article has very valuable information you post and provided here keep it up!”

10. Thesis Paper August 29, 2009 at 12:19 am -

11. Term Paper Writing August 29, 2009 at 1:20 am -

According to your information that is very simple and clearly understand for students to grip.
    Thanks for your research on academic knowledge.

12. Term Paper Writing August 29, 2009 at 1:22 am -

Thanks for your research on academic knowledge.

13. danaweber80 January 18, 2010 at 5:57 am -

Your blog is pretty good and impressed me a lot. This article along with the images is quite in-depth and gives a good overview of the topic.

14. home builders ranking March 9, 2010 at 11:42 am -

shows tool to roll model about an axis pointing normal to viewing plane……

15. Term paper writing March 14, 2011 at 12:39 pm -

Great Article, I really like the way that you have presented with the images and make things really simple to follow

16. Anonymous January 12, 2012 at 10:13 am -

Hi Ricky,

I’m trying to make custom prop task pane to work.
    The problem is that is doesn’t want to load custom materials and custom surface treatments from the list I’ve made. Is there any specific way the list must be prepared and named? Few times I got an error asying that the list filename is invalid.
    I would also like to include commas into the text I want to insert, but it seems like the comma is reserved for splitting the lines :(

17. Anonymous January 25, 2012 at 3:39 pm -

HI again. I answered myself…. txt file was set to invalid coding. After changing to Unicode everything’s work.