SolidWorks 2009: Split Feature

August 8, 2008 12 Comments »
SolidWorks 2009: Split Feature

If you have used various commands to split parts in previous versions of SolidWorks you will especially appreciate the enhancements to the Split Feature in SolidWorks 2009.  When you split a solid body into multiple solid bodies using the split feature, the software requires that you use a Trim Tool to direct how the parts should be cut.  The screen shot below shows using the Top Reference Plane as a cutting tool to split a part into two separate solid bodies.

In previous versions problems could sometimes occur if you radically changed the Trim Tool or changed the it in such a way that additional solid bodies resulted from the split.  If those individual solid bodies were saved out to a stock part, references on occasion could get dropped and your stock part was pretty much junk.  SolidWorks 2009 has added the ability to recognize these solid bodies better when changes are made and gives the user the tools to properly reattach a solid body to a stock part in the event that the software gets it wrong.  The result will be stock parts which are MUCH more stable.  In Beta testing I have honestly tried my best to break a stock part and have not succeeded yet.  The below image shows the warning given when you change a trim tool that results in additional bodies created.

The best way to see the benefits of this enhancement is to see it in action.  Click on the image below to view a video demonstrating the new Split Feature functionality in SolidWorks 2009.

Click to watch the video!

Thanks for tuning in this week.  Check back next week for more highlights from SolidWorks 2009!

1. Chris Chastine August 8, 2008 at 5:09 am -

Ricky, yet another great video on the new capabilities of 2009.
    Keep up the good work!

2. Mark Little August 8, 2008 at 5:47 am -

Hi Ricky, finally!! This is a much needed feature as I build 99% of my models up in part form and then export the bodies. With the split tool I've always had problems on rebuilt so this seems much much better! Thanks for the heads up!

3. Chris Chastine August 8, 2008 at 6:09 am -

Ricky, yet another great video on the new capabilities of 2009.
    Keep up the good work!

4. Mark Little August 8, 2008 at 6:47 am -

Hi Ricky, finally!! This is a much needed feature as I build 99% of my models up in part form and then export the bodies. With the split tool I’ve always had problems on rebuilt so this seems much much better! Thanks for the heads up!

5. Gabi August 8, 2008 at 9:26 am -

Ricky,

Great job! Thanks for posting about this! The video is excellent!

6. Jeff Mowry August 8, 2008 at 9:48 am -

Nice! I just had the lost references happen (again) to me yesterday, so this will be great. By the way, the work-around I use in the meantime that helps with reference stability is to break the operation into two stages. First, use the Split feature to create separate bodies. Then, use the Save Bodies feature to save your bodies as parts. I don't know why, but I've had much better results with this method.

7. Gabi August 8, 2008 at 10:26 am -

Ricky,

Great job! Thanks for posting about this! The video is excellent!

8. Jeff Mowry August 8, 2008 at 10:48 am -

Nice! I just had the lost references happen (again) to me yesterday, so this will be great. By the way, the work-around I use in the meantime that helps with reference stability is to break the operation into two stages. First, use the Split feature to create separate bodies. Then, use the Save Bodies feature to save your bodies as parts. I don’t know why, but I’ve had much better results with this method.

9. Dorset web design May 12, 2009 at 12:31 pm -

I need to purchase a dell computer for Solidworks 2009 and i want to know which one would be the best suited for the application.

10. foreign exchange system November 19, 2009 at 11:43 pm -

Will you be selling iMacs at the store, and when will this open?

11. Puppies For Sale November 5, 2010 at 8:14 am -

Use the Save Bodies feature to save your bodies as parts. I don’t know why, but I’ve had much better results with this method.