Wednesday’s general session is considered by many to be the most highly anticipated session of the conference. This mostly stems from the fact that this is the day we all get a preview of the next version of SolidWorks. This first post will hit the quick highlights. Later I will post a Detailed Review which will go into much more depth.
Here are the quick highlights:
- Segway inventor Dean Kamen gave a speech discussion the FIRST Robotics competition.
- The Top Ten Enhancments were announced by some of the SolidWorks User Group Leaders. The most requested enhancement was more support for dual monitors.
- The Design Contest Winners were announced. Clearly the most amazing part of the announcements was a Rubics Cube model put together by a high school. That school placed third in the Animation contest.
The SolidWorks 2009 features were shown off using a “therapy session” skit. I’ll have much more on that later. Here is a quick list of some of the enhancements shown for SolidWorks 2009.
- SpeedPak Technology to aide Large Assembly Performance.
- Slot tools in sketches.
- Instant Dimensioning of sketch entities as you draw them.
- Addition of a Stretch Entities command to the Sketch tools (VERY NICE!!)
- Negative dimensions in sketches.
- Ability to build sheetmetal part “on top” of a solid model!
- Plastics Design options that automatically take care of feature order in the tree as you add them. One example would be to add a Cut-Extrude feature on a part and having SolidWorks automatically move the feature previous to a Shell operation along with applying the proper draft. (More to come on this later.)
- Creation of Bill of Materials in the Assembly!
- Propagate Assembly Features down into part files.
- Sensors that can be placed in a model which warn the user of defined conditions.
- New Heads up display for sizing Toolbox parts
- Dynamically change Toolbox fastener lengths with Instant3D by dragging the length.
- Magnifying Glass to see details of a model view without zooming in.
- Click on the triad to orient the view.
- Measure tools wills show both inch and metric units.
- COSMOSWorks bolt sizing validation.
- Ribbon Cables in Electrical Routing.
- More jog options in Drawings.
- Title Block Wizard in Drawings.
That is all for now. I’ll post the Detailed Review soon!
Stay tuned….more to come!