SolidWorks 2008: “FINALLY!” Features

October 28, 2007 20 Comments »
SolidWorks 2008:  “FINALLY!” Features

With every release of SolidWorks there are always a few features that automatically invoke the user to shout “FINALLY!” when they see it for the first time. These features are often very simple changes which can save the user time or features that may have been long overdue making it into the software.  I’ve identified two features in SolidWorks 2008 that to me fit in this category.

Centerrectangle1Centerrectangle2The first feature is the Center Rectangle command.  Simply put, this feature allows you to place a rectangle in a sketch based on its center point location.  SolidWorks automatically creates two diagonal centerlines within the rectangle.  I think this is probably a feature that just about every SolidWorks user will use!  I would say that I’ll use this at least 70% of the time as opposed to the other Rectangle commands.

DrawingpictureThe second feature is the Insert->Picture command in SolidWorks Drawings.  Previously, you could only insert bitmap images directly into Drawings. (There was a trick I once used that allowed me to insert jpeg images if you installed a Microsoft image program bundled with Office 2000).  With this new command in SolidWorks 2008, you can now insert the following images types into Drawings: .bmp, .gif, .jpg, .jpeg, .tif, .wmf, .png, &. psd.  Essentially what SolidWorks has done is bring the Sketch Picture tool from Sketches into the Drawing package.  It behaves the same way as Sketch Picture except the exclusion of the new Autotrace functions that have been added in 2008.  You can even use the Sketch Picture Toolbar button to call this feature in a Drawing.  This is REALLY something that was overdue in my opinion, but appears to be worth the wait with all the file types, sizing, and transparency options!

If you have any other features in SolidWorks 2008 that you feel fall into this category, post a comment.

Stay tuned….more to come!

1. Byron Morgan October 29, 2007 at 11:02 am -

On the note of the center created rectangle, the ability to create constrained rectangles on odd angles!
    *smack head* FINALLY!
    very useful when creating some of these goofy shaped plastic components.

2. Byron Morgan October 29, 2007 at 12:02 pm -

*smack head* FINALLY!
    very useful when creating some of these goofy shaped plastic components.

3. Ulrich Hanisch October 29, 2007 at 1:46 pm -

Here are two functions which are missing and probably available in SWX 2011 :-)

- DRW table with tolerances corresponding to the precision settings in the PRT dims
    - legend / caption for all surface finish symbols used in a DRW

But i agree: mid centered rectangle has a lots of the well known FINALLY effect !!

4. Ulrich Hanisch October 29, 2007 at 2:46 pm -

Here are two functions which are missing and probably available in SWX 2011 :-)

– DRW table with tolerances corresponding to the precision settings in the PRT dims
    – legend / caption for all surface finish symbols used in a DRW

5. Ricky Jordan October 29, 2007 at 7:53 pm -

Byron,

You are right, the 3 Point Corner & 3 Point Center Rectangle commands will come in handy as well! It's nice to have some options now.

Best Regards,

Ricky Jordan

6. Ricky Jordan October 29, 2007 at 7:56 pm -

Ulrich,

Ben Eadie has started a wish list at the SolidMentor website. Make sure you add these suggestions to the list. Here is the link: http://solidmentor.com/modules/Wish_list/

Also don't forget to fill out that enhancement request!

Thanks for reading!

Best Regards,

Ricky Jordan

7. Ricky Jordan October 29, 2007 at 8:53 pm -

Byron,

You are right, the 3 Point Corner & 3 Point Center Rectangle commands will come in handy as well! It’s nice to have some options now.

Best Regards,

Ricky Jordan

8. Ricky Jordan October 29, 2007 at 8:56 pm -

Ulrich,

Also don’t forget to fill out that enhancement request!

Thanks for reading!

Best Regards,

Ricky Jordan

9. Tina November 16, 2007 at 12:28 pm -

I have a problem when inserting a picture to the drawing. It shows alright after I insert the picture. However, I save the file, close it, and then open the drawing again, the picture is not showing. Have you encountered such problem? Is there anyway I can solve it?

Thanks a lot.

10. Tina November 16, 2007 at 2:28 pm -

Thanks a lot.

11. Greg April 30, 2008 at 11:19 am -

I am really disappointed with 08. I think it has more bugs in it than windows vista ever did.

The new command manager drives me crazy.

12. Greg April 30, 2008 at 12:19 pm -

The new command manager drives me crazy.

13. gargouri2001 October 14, 2008 at 10:44 am -

Nice write up and blog , Thanks for sharing all those good info

best regards
    John

14. China Travel Deals June 3, 2009 at 7:36 am -

That Sounds interesting, I agree with you.Please keep at your good work, I would come back often.

15. Grany October 10, 2009 at 4:13 am -

Thanks a lot! It's a nice article! I like such amazing stories!

16. Grany October 10, 2009 at 4:13 am -

Thanks a lot! It's a nice article! I like such amazing stories!

17. Garyn Finsher October 14, 2009 at 4:23 pm -

thanks a lot for your amazing article!

18. maskem February 23, 2010 at 10:10 am -

Thank you very much for comments. I stainless steel industry

Paslanmaz

Merdiven Korkuluk

Merdiven Küpeste

19. Anonymous April 19, 2010 at 1:12 pm -

100419SLCHF
    Take the control NBA basketball shoes away from your offender. Mentally replaying your hurt gives power to the person who cheap basketball shoes caused you pain. "Instead of focusing on your wounded feelings, learn to look for the love, lebron basketball shoes beauty and kindness around you," Frederic says fear — even love. To kobe shoes gain perspective, you may want to write a letter to yourself from your offender’s lebron shoes point of view a couple of breaths and think of something that gives you pleasure: a new kobe shoes beautiful scene in nature designed to absorb all the shock that is generated during running.

20. damla etiket February 7, 2011 at 1:30 pm -